Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Some fun changes happening here.

We had our first measurable snowfall last night. Jewel Lake is starting to freeze, so that's fun to watch. This afternoon, the sky is blue and the sun is shining on the freshly snow laden mountains. It really is quite lovely. (Made much lovelier by the fact that I was ready with my studded tires so I could drive with confidence.)

Where would I need to go in the snow, you're wondering? To work. That's where. I started today at the BBQ Pit (just three miles from Renee & Mark's and less than two from the duplex). It's nothing fancy but it is totally doable. I'll be working Mondays plus one other weekday TBD (I'll work a split shift to cover both lunch and dinner) and every other weekend. Which is really quite perfect. This way, I'll still have the opportunity to sub several days a week and continue to attend the AUU Fellowship every other week.
I wasn't in panic mode just yet but I am definitely breathing a bit easier.

It was an interesting first lunch shift though. I went in at 10:30 to train with the opener. She didn't show up 'til almost 11:00 so the owner told me some of the basics to get things started. He was apparently neither pleased nor impressed with her excuse when she got there and SENT HER HOME!   So he handed me an order pad and showed me how to unlock the front door to let our first customers in. So much for training. English is not his first language and he is not particularly communicative and it appeared I was going to be on my own. Holy shitsky!  I was much relieved when Vicki, the gal who hired me, showed up about 20 minutes later. It was moderately stressful but went well generally and I have already tasted the golden nectar that is cash money tips. Yum. I do remember how lovely that is. I actually made enough money in today's lunch shift to fill my very empty gas tank. Super cool.

Jill, Mel, Amy and I went to the Bear Tooth to see "Reel Injun". It was entertaining, educational, and insightful. I totally recommend it. The director, Neil Diamond (no, not that Neil Diamond) was there for questions after the film. That was pretty cool. Later, I played poker with Jeff and some fellas. It was super fun. It is really great to find a good outlet for my poker habit with a maximum outlay of $10. I took 2nd so I actually got my original $5 buy-in back.  Good job, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment